Heartland Water Technology, Inc. develops and markets proprietary wastewater treatment technologies. Heartland has developed an innovative direct-contact heat exchange concentrator that is a simple, robust and reliable treatment solution for challenging wastewaters.
The Heartland Concentrator™ effectively handles wide-ranging water chemistries for many applications including:
- Oil and Gas
- Municipal Solid Waste
- Power Generation
- Industrial wastewater
A 600+ acre municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill in Virginia generates approximately 90,000 gallons per day (GPD) of landfill leachate requiring appropriate treatment and/or disposal. The site is equipped with a landfill gas collection and control system (GCCS) and complimentary landfill gas-to-energy recovery system including four Solar Centaur 40 combustion turbines.
WM new air permit will allow processing up to 91kgpd. 27kgpd on units #1 and #2 and 37kgpd on unit #3.
EREF was established to fund and direct scientific research and educational initiatives for waste management practices to benefit industry participants and the communities they serve. Stephanie will present insight on a national research project to understand the complexity of leachate management in the US.
The goal of Stephanie’s project is to collect data from landfills across the U.S. that includes leachate quantity and quality, management practices (e.g., on-site and off-site treatment). Results from this study will provide insight to the following types of questions:
- Does geographic location affect leachate volume or treatment strategies?
- What factors influence whether or not a landfill is allowed to discharge to a POTW?
- Are commonly used empirical rules of thumb (e.g. leachate generation per acre) accurate for sizing treatment processes?
What technology options are available on the market to address specific treatment goals?
Earl Jones is the Chief Executive Officer for Heartland Water Technology, Inc. Heartland provides technical solutions to treat challenging waste waters. In his presentation Earl will discuss:
- Impacts of changing leachate management policies on landfill operators
- Technical options for on-site treatment
- Opportunity to integrate on-site leachate treatment with distributed power generation